Sunday, July 22, 2012

50 Shades of Puce


At work, we passed The Hunger Games trilogy around and enjoyed it very much.  Next up came 50 Shades of Grey, which I had heard was smutty. I figured it had some naughty bits in it but no big deal.  After all, who reads a dirty book and passes it around to their coworkers?  The people I work with apparently.  I struggled through the first 40 or so pages but I just couldn't go on. The stumbling, blushing, simpering, eyelash fluttering dippy broad heroine drove me to distraction. Someone push her out of the car and leave her for the zombies.  What? There aren't any zombies in that book?  Well, right there, that's the problem.

That brings me to spotlight cards.  No, really it does.  See, when that technique hit big, I thought it was just a way for lazy people to make cards: stamp the whole thing but don't color a lick of it except for this one small "spotlit" area.  To make it really work well, I always though you should color the whole thing in using nothing but grays except for your spotlit area that would be a burst of color.

But no one ever listens to me.

The Fine Print: Puce is the color you get when you dunk the Easter egg into every single color of dye.  It is sort of a purplish brown, but when you look close you can see the red, green, yellow and orange deep in there too.  It ain't pretty.  By the way, there aren't any naughty bits in the first 40 pages of 50 Shades of Grey.  Butterfly stamp by Stamp Out Cute, colored in Copic markers, some colors and many shades of gray,but not 50 of them because I don't have that many gray Copics.

3 comments:

Squirrel x said...

Put that filth down immediately! I never thought books should ever be burned but I can make an exception. Great card, love the spotlight! Hugs Sxx

Morti said...

LOL!!!

You forgot to mention the insufferable lip biting. I'm only reading it to see what all the fuss is about, but Black Lace have been making these books for years and they're far better! The smutty stuff in 50 SOG doesn't hit till around page 112 or so.

As for 50 SOG and copics - you don't have that many gray Copics cos Copic don't make that many grays. Thankfully....

ROFL

Susan ~ Killam Creative said...

You are a funny lady!

[soapbox] I heard about 50 Shades and decided to read whatever was available on an Amazon preview and was HORRIFIED at the poor writing and complete lack of editing. I can't even write what I really think of the lemming behavior and acceptance of really crappy writing for a little thrill. It's depressing. [end soapbox]

Susan