Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Workdesk Wednesday #329

Spotted on today's workdesk are some stamps, a card in a box in progress, cards I've received, the directions and kits for the cards in a box hiding under some Halloween papers, my glasses, scissors, bits of cardstock, and stitched leaf dies.
As I mentioned last week I was volunteered to teach the card in the box. The version that set this in motion is larger than the one I have directions for but it is easy enough to scale up. I started by making the one on the left. I didn't really like the look of the black gingham paper for this so I abandoned it and went to the polka dot version.
I'm working up 12 kits for this that include the cardstock, directions, and die cuts. Since the focus is on the box and assembling it I'm pre-cutting the dies. Besides the moon and the ghost there are 6 little costumed children to include. So let's see 6 x 13 is.....  a lot of die cutting. Yes it is 13 because I have to finish my version of it too! I don't have the greeting that my friend used on the original box but I wasn't worried about that; however, my friend generously stamped out enough greetings for all of us to use with some to spare.
And here is a gratuitous photo of a cat by the fireplace. You can tell this is crafting related because of all the paper and stamps. Below is the original box that started this all off so you can see what we're basically aiming for. Next week I'll have the finished version to show you. I'll finish off the gingham one too but it will be different.
The Fine Print: Costumed children stamps and matching dies by A Muse Studio (my friend doesn't have the dies), all ghost die cuts by Sizzix, and whatever else by whoever else.

20 comments:

Sharon Madson said...

Hi Judy! Your area is so neat! How do you do that with a cat and making those cards in a box! Mine would be such a mess, is such a mess! Thanks for the peek! #50

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

"I was volunteered" LOL, I know how that goes! I like the gingham box too, but you're right the polka dot looks better. You can always paint over the gigham design to jazz it up a bit. I do love your cat! Sometimes I wish we had one too, but then I think of the responsibility. Thanks for popping over to my blog earlier! Have a great week! zsuzsa

Leslie Hanna said...

At my former employer, we called that "voluntold". I love your ambitious project. I'll sit back on the sidelines and watch you work. *pops popcorn*

Unknown said...

Your finished card turned out fabulous! As to the gingham one, you could add enough images that it would be covered. I know all about the "I was volunteered" too. Been there, done that, and it was the Box card. But, I did get paid as I supplied everything. Thanks for popping by! Oh, your cat looks so cozy laying there. Happy WOYWW!
Carol N #41

Fikreta said...

this is very nice

Irish Cherokee said...

Nice Judy. Have to try one of the variations to this one of these days. They are loads of fun.

Hugs and blessings
Jim

Sandy said...

So glad you included that gratuitous cat shot -- I was going to complain about the lack of kitties in this post.
Compiling 13 kits sounds like a pretty big job. You're too nice. I've never made one of these myself, tho I do have the awesome version Helen sent me, so I guess I could figure it out....

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Judy, what an absolutely fun card in the box...it's amazing! And I love seeing your work space. It looks quite organized, and I'm sure your kitty helps you a lot...hehe! I hopped over here from Jim's "Love the Details" blog, and I'm happy to see you! Hugs!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Loving the cards Judy, kitty looks comfy too. Have a great woyww and happy crafting, Angela x 36

Stacy Sheldon said...

you know, I kinda grinned to see you have a fireplace hiding under the papers and kitty. ( do you ever have to use it?) voluntold... yep, that is what they call that one. looks like the class is going to be so fun for those gals though :)

Greta said...

I love the polka dot version--this is going to be a hit, Judy! Love the picture with your kitty cat--what a beauty!

RosA said...

The gratuitous shot of the pretty kitty is much appreciated :)
Those little boxes are so clever and I wouldn't mind having a go at them, but I'm allergic to too much measuring and cutting :)
How could you get rid of Twinkling H2Os??? I don't use mine often either, but when I do, nothing else matches them. I love their bright, vibrant colours.
Thanks for dropping by earlier,
RosA

LesleyG said...

Great card in the making, hope they enjoy all your efforts xxx

vic said...

Hi judy love the pics of your craft room what a lovely place to craft! Lovely Halloween cards so sweet
Hugs
Vic x

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Good luck with all the cutting out and kitting! It is a great card though and I can see why you were 'encouraged' to lead a class in the technique! I don't think you can ever go wrong with polka dots actually- they seem a bit more sassy than gingham, which has always seemed too sweet and wholesome for me!! Go figure, I'm weird :-)
I usually have cats in front of my fireplace too but usually when it's lit and they're hogging all the warmth, little b#$%$rs........
Hugs, LLJ 12 xx

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Your BOO boxes are adorable. and so is your pretty cat. What a clean organized desk. Have fun messing it up.

Anonymous said...

Adorable card in a box, I love it!! I'm glad you took time to start Halloween :-)!!

Shoshi said...

Nice picture of the kitty keeping all your colourful papers warm, Judy! It looks as if you are busy at the moment with lots of projects. Thank you for your visit and your nice comment - glad you like the cards I've done. I made a little purple basket yesterday to put all our neighbour's little gifts in and we gave it to her today - she loved it! Very gratifying. After I've got over tomorrow's chemo I shall be looking forward to making some cards with my new brushos - I am going to have fun with them, I know.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #32

Ohhh Snap said...

I have yet to try a box card! Yours are adorable : D. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier in the week! #44

Words and Pictures said...

Busy, busy, busy - that'll larn me to go off to France for three days - plenty of catching up to do! Love your spooky little boxes - and the relaxing cat.
Alison xx