Monday, September 28, 2015

A Visit from Wildlife

A friend of mine recently complained that she looked all over my blog and couldn't find the pictures of the javelina that visited our apartment complex not too long ago.  Well, that's because they were on my Facebook, but I have rectified that now.

These guys look like they are wild pigs but they are called peccaries which is a different family. They came up from the river we live near. The river is dry most of the time and is like a freeway for wildlife. People really make a stink about how dangerous these guys are, especially with young around. They have terrible eyesight so I think the danger is mostly that they will accidently run into you when they are trying to run away from you. Still, you don't want to try to give one a big hug.
Oh, and a card.
The Fine Print: Papa Peccary was around the corner lounging in the mud under some bushes.  There were about a dozen javelina in this herd. They are one of the many reasons people don't have outside pets. Cars, coyotes and bobcats are the main reason. Just Because by A Muse Artstamps, all other stuff from my stash including the fun velvet coated paper. 

8 comments:

Sandy said...

We brought back a children's book on javelina from Arizona and read it many times. I remember bad eyesight and that they smell, but not that they are dangerous, but maybe a kid's book wouldn't mention that.

Words and Pictures said...

They're so sweet... what's a little danger between friends?!
Alison xx

Leslie Hanna said...

Wild pig alert! That must be so weird to have them wandering about.

And as soon a I saw the card, I shouted "FLOCKED PAPER!". I woke up the cat, but he's recovered nicely.

Greta said...

I so adore this elegant card, Judy--beautiful! I'm totally amazed by your wildlife--never heard of these & have to say I'm glad they aren't walking down my street!

KT Fit Kitty said...

OMGoodness, those critters are so cute! How fun! We've had bunnies and a few deer, that's it. Oh, and I think Brian saw a porcupine once. Nothing unusual like you've seen! I love animals! Your card is very classy looking! Love that fabulous paper!

LesleyG said...

Just want to stroke that velvet paper.....not so your wildlife though! Xxx

RosA said...

Hardly even noticed your pretty card. Too distracted by your unique wildlife :) We have feral pigs here, in the outback, thousands of miles away. They can stay there! But your visitors look kinda cute! I guess our unique wildlife (kangaroos etc) can look cute too, but some of them will rip your head off if given half a chance :)
No wonder your kitties are indoor people :)

Carol L said...

I love the card today - oh my gosh that background is just stunning! And the color combo - FABULOUS! I likey! Uhhhhhh, I'd be runnin' for the hills if I saw critters like this wandering around!