Monday, August 24, 2015

Suspending Reality

I recently commented to a friend that the book I just finished was really good, but I added the caveat, "You know, if you realize you have suspend reality a little bit for fiction to work well."

My friend totally disagreed. She said that it's fiction and you don't have to let reality get in your way. I do agree with her to an extent but I think reality gives you some excellent guidelines.  This book was about an FBI agent who was assigned a case where it was obvious a flea infestation had been introduced. An oriental gentleman comes along and says he knows who is behind it and what it is all about (biological warfare, the introduction of bubonic plague through fleas). The two of them hook up and work together to find the whodunnit to stop his diabolical plans.

That's a bending of fiction I'm willing to accept.  It would be boring to read the reality about how the oriental gentleman had to go through hoops and bureaucratic BS just to get his story heard and the multiple futile trips he made to the FBI.  The author did give nod to the FBI checking out the gentleman and his story.  Would the FBI immediately listen to his every word and include him in the resulting investigation? Probably not but I could let that go without an eyeroll.

But then came the part that I had queue the eyerolls, and to me it almost ruined the book.  The grand finale involved a big confrontational scene. Our FBI guy was ready to go in with his agents and suddenly, oh the oriental guy wants to come too so what the heck, let's invite him. And hey, while we are at it let's bring along the ex-wife who also insists on coming along.
That's where I felt it overstepped the lines. Once I got over that the book was really good.  If that hadn't happened, then the book would have been excellent. I feel the author should have found another way to get them involved in the final scenario rather than insisting they be included in a freaking FBI sting.

My friend said that wouldn't have bothered her at all.  Different strokes for different folks. Where do you fall in the realm of real reality vs. fictional reality?
The Fine Print: Card parts 'n stuff by Club Scrap "Dream in Color."  Paper flower, brads, and clip from my stash.


11 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

If the writing's good enough, I'll buy anything… if the writing isn't, I won't make it beyond page 10 so it stops mattering!! But yes, I can certainly see your point on the ex-wife coming along for the sting… Did they get back together again too?!

Love the cards - especially the dreamy texty background.
Alison xx

Carol L said...

Those are some really cool cards you've made today!

I don't normally read much more than magazine articles, but occasionally I do read a good non-fiction book. I don't have any interest in fiction but I understand the point you made. It's like watching a good mystery movie that has you on the edge of your seat until the final ten minutes, and then it feels like someone else wrote the ending without any connection to the story! I walk away scratching my head thinking how stupid I was to sit through that fiasco for 90 minutes!! Talk about a major disappointment! LOL

LesleyG said...

I think it should be believable, but also not taken too serious. Pants if it spoiled it for you, but you sure haven't spoilt your dreamy cards xxx

Squirrel x said...

Great cards (again) from you hunny, your output amazes me. Pants to a ruined book, sometimes it can only be the smallest thing that will spoil the whole story. Hugs xx

Sarn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarn said...

If it's a good, well-written story that I am fully immersed in . . . I let a few "oh for goodness sake, that would NEVER happen" bits go. If it's not well-written, then I'm inclined to give up the book for another . . . I figure there are SOOOOO many good books out there, why waste my time on reading one that's annoying me?

I am currently on the third book of a trilogy that I never want to end . . . it's been thoroughly good fun to read - if you like FANTASY (demons, angels and monsters and the odd human thrown in). Laini Taylor's imagination knows no bounds and it's been fascinating. "Twilight" lovers, eat your heart out, Laini Taylor's books are MUCH more entertaining.

Oh, and your card . . . that's why I came to visit of course . . . well as you know from my previous comments . . . I love that quirky kit.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

thecraftycavalier said...

Oooh, it's that fab kit :-) I love these - love that pink and red together; stunning. Oooh, I love a good story book but if something utterly ridiculous happens then I'm done! Hugs, Jayne x

Leslie Hanna said...

MY EYES! Are you almost finished with that kit? :)

As far as fiction, I don't think non-Team-members should be part of a sting. Leave it to the pros. Once you invite the amateurs, they make noise or stand up and get shot or do something else stupid that jeopardizes the whole operation. LEAVE THEM AT HOME!

Stacy Sheldon said...

love these cards Judy, and yes. I am in the if its really bad I don't finish it group. but, I can let a couple of totally off things go. so, depends on if the author did a good job with sucking me in to care about the characters..

Bonnie said...

The book sounds good and the cards are amazing! I'm often disappointed with endings of books I read. I wonder if the author is so sick of the book that they just throw in oddball things or even worse, just end it!

Greta said...

Cool cards, Judy & I love the quote! I'm with you--there are limits even though it's fiction!