Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Pestered Panda

Yesterday I was a flustered panda. See, I got put on phone duty all day and I had to make appointments for the counselors.  Who calls an institution of higher education one week before classes starts and wants appointments with counselors?

The answer is: people who are woefully underprepared to come to college. There were a large amount of students who needed to meet with a counselor to get cleared for this semester due to academic crappiness (we're just calling it what it is) but frankly calling a mere days before classes start doesn't show signs of success. Amazingly the majority of them had appointments previously and just plain failed to show up.  That really smacks of failure.

I also had to put up with a large amount of young adults who were incapable of making a decision. Maybe mommy made all the decisions before now. I'm not sure, but when the switchboard is backed up 6 deep I can't spend 15 minutes with you on the phone trying to decide if you want an appointment in the morning or the afternoon. I lied to a number of them.  "Oh while you were waffling someone took the afternoon appointment. You can have the morning one."
But then I got to go home and make myself a nice stiff drink a large leafy salad and make this lovely card.  It is going to be a birthday card to a friend.  Isn't it lovely? Well, actually it was frustrating too.  See, last year I bought those wonderful butterfly dies but did not buy the companion Watercolor Butterfly stamp set.  I wanted to CASE a really cool card that a friend sent me but lacked all the parts. So after much finagling I came up with this version. The inside is decorated with the greeting and more of the ferns, see:
The Fine Print: Die and fern stamp by Stampin' Up, designer paper by Basic Gray.


13 comments:

Stacy Sheldon said...

that is beautiful :) and I had to laugh about the you can take this appointment or leave it bookings... an adult beverage sounds like it was totally earned.

AJ Bodine said...

Ummm, sounds like a frustrating day, I'm surprised you could make beautiful things after that. I think I'd be vegging in front of the tv with my "salad".

Very pretty and love the ferns!!

Btw, I gave a friend your link for Amuse. :)

thecraftycavalier said...

Hmm, I might have resorted to saying ,'sorry, this is a really bad line, I can't hear you' and hanging up!!!! Your perseverance is commendable. So, I really like this card. Love the black butterfly with the pretty colours underneath. It's given me some great inspiration for a class. Gorgeous. x

Words and Pictures said...

Sounds like the worst possible kind of day... nothing worse than being expected to pick up the pieces of somebody else's uselessness. Glad you had a nice stiff salad (!) at the end of the day. And even if it was finagled, I love the card - the butterfly's lovely, and the subtle ferns are wonderful.
Alison xx

Karen Dunbrook said...

so pretty mf....take care!
hugs,
Karen

Carol L said...

After enduring what sounds like a trying day, you really knocked it out of the crafting park with this beautiful butterfly card! It's gorgeous, and I love how you stamped the ferns in the background! NJ!

Darnell said...

Oh, my, PJ. The thing is, you'll find that you become even more, erm, forthright as you age so if you keep on the job for a few more decades, I can imagine there will be no more need for lies! You'll find yourself starting sentences with, "Listen, sonny ..." I'm not even kidding. You think it only happens in novels, and perhaps I read too many of them in my day, but I've heard it firsthand. Right under my own ears! Your ferny butterfly card is beautiful and belies the frustrating day you had!! Hugs, Darnell

Squirrel x said...

Gorgeous card hunny, such a lovely flutterby against the fern background. Lush, as the children say round here. Hugs xx Still puzzling over the panda reference .....

LesleyG said...

Ha so funny I must remember that tip next time there's a ditherer, love your hand watercoloured butterfly xxx

Sarn said...

Well I just LOVE this beautiful butterfly card . . . so tranquil after your trying day on the phones. I hope you have a better day today. If not, you'l DEF need that stiff drink you crossed out!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

KT Fit Kitty said...

This is gorgeous! I love the butterfly and how you coloured it! I had to laugh at how you spent your day! I think you made a good call by giving them just the one option - sometimes that's all it takes to get them to make a decision! I think you really needed that leafy salad when you got home haha!

Bonnie said...

That stiff drink (I mean leafy salad) really opened up the creativity! I love this butterfly and will probably CASE it! Love the ferns too, but that butterfly is GORGEOUS! What were you drinking?

Greta said...

You made me laugh, Judy! I can just hear you on the phone with those immature college students! Your butterfly may have been a struggle, but it sure ended up great!