Monday, March 9, 2015

It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's....

A hot air balloon straight from the New Mexican skies...
Well, actually I lied.  It really is a hot air balloon straight from my Southern Arizonian desk.  It's just that hot air balloons and New Mexico go hand in hand in my brain.

My mom recently told me a story about how on the TV show The Bachelor the couple went to a visit to Santa Fe, New Mexico, for a romantic hot air balloon date and that the state of New Mexico paid for that to happen.  I believe she said NM paid $50,000 for that to happen and there was a bit of hoopla in all the papers about it.

I found that information interesting.  I had no idea that states were willing to pay so much to pimp themselves out.  (It's called 'product placement' Judy). I also wondered if it was worth it.  Have you ever watched a TV show and based your vacation plans on that?  If you did were you disappointed that handsome hunk bachelor didn't whisk you off for a romantic get away and that you didn't have 10 other women to be catty with and about?

Just wondering...

The Fine Print:  Hot air balloon die by Cheery Lynn, other stuff by.... yeah, I got nothing.

11 comments:

LesleyG said...

Hmm makes you wonder....up, up and away! Xxx

Craftychris said...

Fab card! Love the papers. $50,000 - thats a ridiculous amount! I have never rushed off anywhere following that sort of programme - if I had, I am sure I would be disappointed! xxx

Sandy said...

We spent a week in Sedona one May, and we saw the balloons being trucked back to wherever they live late every morning, presumably after a dawn trip, so I associate them with AZ (though we do occasionally see a few of them here).
$50K is less than it costs for a one-minute prime time commercial, which is why product placement is a growing field.

Sue said...

Me and hubby have always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon no idea why we are both scared of heights LOL but fab card PJ huggles Sue xx

Carol L said...

Your card is very pretty and I like that hot air balloon in the colors you chose. I'd never go up in a hot-air balloon, and I'd never watch the Bachelor either! They're both major train wrecks in my mind! LOL

chrissy xx said...

My friend used to have a partner with a hot air balloon! All she ever did was to follow him in the van/trailer to pick him back up when he landed..He is no more lol..
Great card...LOve your colours.
Chrissyxx

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Love this, fabulous balloon and ribbon.

Janeen said...

fabulous card and laughing my butt off description

Janeen said...

fabulous card and laughing my butt off description

Bonnie said...

Can you imagine what the people of New Mexico have to do without to pay for a crazy hot air balloon ride! Hot air indeed! Love your balloon and wonder if that hunk is hiding in the basket!

Leslie Hanna said...

LOVE that balloon. And no, not only do I not watch shows like The Bachelor, I would never dream of planning a vacation based on a TV show. It's a "reality" show, which means it's NOTHING AT ALL like real life.