Monday, March 30, 2015

Club Sketch Card

The large stamp group that I belong to (which actually I'm in charge of, sort of like how you leave the least drunk of your friends to be the designated driver) does an optional monthly card exchange.  This month instead of a theme, we did a sketch layout to follow.

We were provided with the following sketch, which someone borrowed from Splitcoast.  I heard lots of grumbling about how people didn't like to be told what to do, this was too limiting, this was not limiting enough (no dimensions given), etc.  Ultimately a record number of people joined in the swap this month.

I did my usual wait until the last minute thing and then whip out a card. I knew I wanted to do something cute and springlike so here is what I came up with.
My card is definitely in the spirit of the sketch even though it isn't exact since my bottom margin is so small and my circle overlap the main image.  I sort of wanted to not follow the sketch exactly to show others how it is done, but mostly it just happened given the size of the image I wanted to use. Below is the card I received in exchange. I just love the light splatters in the background.
The Fine Print: Hedgehog stamp by Penny Black, paper flowers and brads from my stash, and someone's 6x6 designer paper pad.  The card I received (by EM) is most likely made with Stampin' Up products.

13 comments:

Sandy said...

Your little hedgie does capture the spirit of spring. Very cute.
The sketch is from Splitcoast Stampers.

KT Fit Kitty said...

Super-cute hedgie! Definitely a spring feel to this one! Now if spring would only arrive here I would be sooooo happy! We got more snow - about 6" - on the weekend and more in the forecast for tomorrow. Still have at least 3 feet on the ground. Worst winter in my memory!

stampingbowd said...

Adorable hedgie!!! I love his pretty pink flower rope! Your exchange card is beautiful too! What a fun thing to do for a swap!

Carol L said...

I've always been told that a sketch is only a starting point, and I see the sketch in your adorable card! That hedgie looks right at home swinging in the breeze on a warm day! Cute!

thecraftycavalier said...

Aww, how happy is that little hedgey! Love your beautiful fresh springlike card! Beautiful colours. I like working with a sketch and this one is fab - I may borrow it too :-) Big hugs, Jayne x

Janeen said...

good job. i think sketches are to be loosely followed. my favorite challenge is a sketch challenge.

Bad Kitty said...

beautiful cards

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

These are both so fabulous.

Greta said...

I like that sketch & how you used it, Judy! You could enter at Penny Black Saturday Challenge http://pennybfriendssaturdaychallenge.blogspot.com/2015/03/penny-black-saturday-challenge-march.html if that's a PB stamp like I think it is. Looks like you got a beautiful card in the exchange.

Sarn said...

Your PB Hedgie card is so sweet.
Definitely SU stamps used in the swap card you received.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

chrissy xx said...

You have me laughing even before I get to look at your cards {and your class mates}
It's sounds a case of everyone in a row and they all step back except one! That's how you get the job in the UK lol...
Brilliant card..LOving the PB image and FAB colours..
LOve the one you received in exchange too.
Sounds like you have fun, fun, fun.
Chrissyxx

Bonnie said...

I can see the sketch! And I love this hedgehog! You got a pretty card in return!

Leslie Hanna said...

People like to whine. I was with a group of stampers this past weekend, and none of them understood why anyone would need dimensions for a sketch. It's supposed to be a suggestion, and you make it your own.

And you made it your own, starting with the stamped image and working it into the sketch. I'm all about sketches and mixing things up a bit, so I'm quite proud of you. :)

And for the record? I'd take a sketch any day over "make an Easter card". That's also telling me what to do, with less flexibility, since I never make Easter cards. Pffth.