Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Girly Girl

I made this girly girl card over the weekend with the idea of sending it out for a 'your choice' swap but after the card was done it made me think of my mother so much I decided I had to send it to her instead.  I have no idea why it made me think of my mother.  She's not a girly girl either. 

On the topic of girly girls, a few of us at work were talking about the insanity that is the local university, whose classes start tomorrow and someone mentioned that sorority rush was in full swing. I had a good chuckle to myself when I heard that.  I've never been a girly girl either yet I was invited to a sorority tea for prospective recruits.

This was a bazillion years ago after I graduated high school and applied for the local university.  Not long after I applied I received this invitation to the mother-daughter tea.  My mother insisted we had to go; that it would be a lark.  I think she was looking forward to sticking it to the snooty ladies (mom can have a sense a humor!).  See, her daughter (that's me) was a punker, complete with dyed wild hair, spikes, leather, and black makeup. We had a great time. All the girly girls rolled their eyes at me and me at them.  My mother sat with the other mothers and listened to them promise to make hefty donations to the sorority and talk about their sorority ties and how they were going to make hefty donations and how it was such an important part of college life and how they were going to make hefty donations.  When we left we laughed and laughed, "Holy shit, Mom! Was that for real?!"  Needless to say they didn't come looking for me at rush time and I certainly didn't come looking for them.

The Fine Print: The first hint you might not be a girly girl is that you can go to the restroom by yourself.  The second hint you might not be a girly girl is if you can answer the telephone without makeup on.  Image by Lily of the Valley, butterfly punch by Martha, background papers from a magazine. And it isn't that I have to make y'all laugh all the time; it's that I feel bad when I ain't got no words to say.  Everyone should have the opportunity to have some Princess Judy words of wisdom in their life, even sorority girls!
 

2 comments:

Squirrel x said...

Great card - girly or not, your mother will love it. I guess that makes me non-girly - I can even go to work with no make-up!! Sxx

Sarn said...

Being English, I don't understand about Sorority stuff . . . but I sort of get the picture.

Anyhoo . . . your girly girl card is love and very, um, GIRLY! xxx