Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Scarecrows, Crows, and Dead People

I have a thing about scarecrows. I think they are really cool. I can't say I've seen one in action in person. Sure I've seen scarecrows at the craft stores this time of year but they certainly aren't scaring any crows or probably any other bird.

In fact if you want to scare, or at least annoy, birds then what you need is realistic looking fake bird. One year I bought myself one of those scarecrows from the craft store along with some metal yard decorations that looked like corn stalks. Then I also bought a big black fake crow to go with them.
I put them out in my yard and admired them. Less than an hour later I went outside and brought that stupid crow back into my house. All the neighborhood birds took exception to this big black intruder and hopped all around making loud angry bird sounds and got other birds in the neighborhood to join in the melee. No matter how much ruckus the real birds made that crow just sat there without a care in the world. I took him down just so I could get some peace.
This is the altar we put together at work for Dia de los Muertos, which is today. It honors our dead relatives, or in my case it honors my dead bottle of scotch. On the lower left corner is a photo in memory of Jerry Bob, who was that mouse that was trapped in our office. May they all rest in peace.

The Fine Print: Large scarecrow stamp by unknown (it was a self-mount from my friend), designer papers by DCWV, and leaves from my fall stash.

9 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Can remember seeing scarecrows out in the fields as a child. They were pretty meagre affairs though. Mostly the clothes were in tatters. Now days they use automatic bird scarers which just make a loud bang and not much else. Love your happy scarecrow. Got a stamp of one myself which was a must have purchase and only used it once. Not much call for them really. Hugs Mrs A.

Fikreta said...

this is great card!
the altar is beautiful!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

The scarecrow image is super fun! Great coloring! I did not know that about birds and a fake bird type scarecrow!!!

Carol L said...

Love the scarecrow card - it's fun - along with your "crow" story! LOL That's quite a tribute to the deceased relatives - including all the colorful pom poms! (I'm making a note of all the skulls I see too, especially the ones dangling from her hat!)

LesleyG said...

Fab card, fab story, and fab altar! Xxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Wonderful card Princess J - and I enjoyed your story about the crow :-)
Blessings
Maxine

Barb said...

I love your scarecrow card Judy but he does look very inviting and not too scary. Great colours! What a funny anecdote about the birds in your garden. We get hoards of crows periodically and they certainly do make a racket. The alter in your office looks very impressive. What a lovely idea that is. Barbxx

Bonnie said...

I was scaring crows off the bluebird feeder this afternoon! Pesky things! Love this fun scarecrow on your card! Like those fall leaves too!

Greta said...

Love your fall card--wonderful image! Crows always woke us up at a campground we used to go to, but I saw on TV they actually play & have a sense of humor--who knew?!