Wednesday, October 9, 2013

No.

We've all met those people who like to state a problem or problems.  Then when you start offering solutions, they reject them all.  That's when we learn that they were just complaining, not looking for solutions.   

I'm hungry. 

Then eat.  Here have half of my doughnut.  There are chips in the break room.  Let's go to lunch.  There's a bake sale going on.  There's a nice restaurant in the next block.  I'll fix you a sandwich.

No. No. No. No. No. No.  And of course, no.

My car is a disaster area.

Clean out the trash.  Fix the broken door handle.  Get a dash mat.  Get some seat covers.  Tape up those tears in the vinyl.  Get a iPod to plug into the speakers.  Get speakers.  Put a towel on the ripped seat.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. And of course, no.
We may have to fall for someone's constant solution rejection multiple times before we realize that this is a person who just likes to complain.  After we've learned though we quit offering solutions and don't feed their complaints.  We just label that person with a name usually along the lines of complainer, whiner, jerk, or asshole.

However, we've all been that asshole on occasion for a variety of reasons.  You know, it just happens.  I try to catch myself when I'm doing to explain I why I'm answering in all no's.

I'm fasting for a medical test.  Lunch is in 30 minutes.  I don't want to spoil supper.  I'm trying to lose weight.  That's stuff I need.  I don't have the money to fix it.  I'm thinking of trading the car in.   I'm lazy.  I don't want to deal with it now.  And, of course, the absolute truth: I'm just complaining.
People accept excuses if they are reasonable.  I know we don't always feel we have to justify our answers.  No means no and by god, that oughtta be good enough.  But it does make you look like less of an asshole if you do.

The Fine Print: Nope, I'm not complaining nor looking for solutions.  I actually was thinking what an asshole I must have looked like when I rejected all of someone's solutions once.  There were actually good excuses for my no's; I was just too tired to point them out.  She was just trying to help and I pooped on her parade.  Pretty cards for such an ugly topic.  Cards by Club Scrap the Lotus Pond kit, which is really old but I bought not that long ago because they were pretty.

1 comment:

A Little Time said...

I've been that person before. My oldest quite frequently turns into that person, too.
Lovely cards!