Saturday, June 28, 2014

THREE....

I've been dabbling with water colors lately because I think water colors are cool.  Since they are trendy right now and everyone is going on about various water coloring techniques I  thought I should toss my hat in the ring.

I read about a technique where your liberally mist your paper with water and then stamp on it in dye ink. The ink reacts to the water and runs a bit to give your image a water color look.  It works best with bold stamps especially the ones that already have a water color look to them.
So I liberally misted my paper with water, stamped my images and watched them run right off the paper completely.  I guess I got carried away with the water.  For this card I barely misted the paper at all before stamping.  It did not get a true water color look to it at all.  Maybe next time when I find the middle ground between running images and barely moist ones.
The Fine Print: Brand new stamps by A Muse Studio "Beautiful Birthday" (available July 1) stamped in Memento ink on watercolor paper, butterfly die and lime pearl also by A Muse Studio (old stuff but will be carried over to the new catalog).  The light gray circles in the flower centers are made with a pencil eraser.

5 comments:

Irish Cherokee said...

I happen to like the results. I have been using my brush on water colors again but have not shared any yet. They are a bit more difficult to master than copics but they are neat. Maybe the water color pencils will be better.

Sandy said...

I learned to do it by inking the stamp, spritzing it, and then stamping it on dry paper -- you don't even have to use watercolor paper, though that does enhance the effect a little. I've even demoed this technique at stamp shows -- you can use markers instead of ink if you want.

Carol L said...

Even if you didn't nail the technique zactly as you planned, this card turned out to be quite a beauty! I really really like it!

Janeen said...

Yes, nice card, yes find the happy medium but I did laugh at your description....ran right off the card.

scrappymo! said...

Well, it may not have been what you had in mind...but I think it looks great. I can see the watercolour look...and these are the perfect stamp for this technique.

PS That sentiment is fabulous!